A community that Embraces the individual
The ETHOS that every student counts and the family feel cultivated in the Sixth Form, ensure that the Sixth Form at Brentford is a nurturing and friendly place to be. (Ofsted 2016) There is a real community feel where students’ differences are embraced and celebrated.
The EXCELLENT PASTORAL CARE ensures that no matter what the challenge or need, the Sixth Form team will always be ready to support you. The relationships between staff and students are excellent. There is an ethos of mutual respect. Students are always very respectful and staff ensure that they acknowledge the growing maturity of the students.
6TH FORM IS ABOUT MORE THAN ACADEMIC STUDY
At Brentford 6th Form we offer an EXTENSIVE ENRICHMENT PROGRAMME. Whatever you go on to do after 6th Form you will be expected to have done more than just studying for your examined subjects.
We have a wide range of social and learning enrichment activities. LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES include museum, theatre, art gallery and exhibition visits and subject-specific excursions, including voluntary work in thur local community and international trips abroad.
extra curricular Learning and Leadership opportunities
Students are encouraged to take part in EXTENDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES in school including paired reading with younger students, working as a teaching assistant, debating, mentoring, contributing to assemblies, supporting parents evening, in-class support or completing a range of work experience placements. All our students are also expected to take part in an off-site team building day to develop confidence and teamwork skills.
Additional opportunities for students include a variety of LEADERSHIP POSITIONS:
Head Girl, Deputy Head Girl, Senior 6th Form Prefect, Social Committee and Prefect Team.
We encourage our sixth formers to be ACTIVE LEARNERS, lead the drama productions, attend the numerous trips and visits on offer and get involved in various community and voluntary activities, all available to support you in building your wider skill sets, developing team spirit, and leadership skills.
Various SOCIAL ACTIVITIES are run by the school including trips abroad, day trips to London, evening theatre trips, quiz evenings and live music events, BBQs and film nights, the Sixth Form prom and many other activities.
Attending summer schools, masterclasses and university lectures are important in enabling you to get a head start in the competitive market.
There is a strong emphasis on volunteering at Brentford 6th form. As well as helping to explore career interests, volunteering is a fantastic way for students to DEVELOP CRUCIAL EMPLOYABILITY SKILLS, needed in today’s job market. 6th form students are involved in a range of volunteering opportunities both in and out of school:
- Supporting students with special educational needs in the school’s ASD Centre
- Acting as Ambassadors at school events such as open evenings
- Acting as Classroom Support Assistants at a local primary school
- Befriending patients at West Middlesex University Hospital
- Helping out at youth organisations
- Retail and customer service at local charity shops
- Visiting elderly people at local residential homes
ALUMNI AND INDUSTRY CONNECTIONS
6th form students are supported by local employers in a variety of ways:
- Women only 'Connect' mentoring, with professionals from GSK and DELL, facilitated through charity Spark!
- Career talks, mock interviews, work visits organised on an individual basis
We are grateful to all our community network and business links, particularly for the comprehensive and continuous support from:
- BSI, SEGA, Ealing and Hounslow CVS, Met Police, teapigs and Spark!
6th form students are encouraged to take up opportunities outside their academic curriculum including:
- Social Mobility Foundation - Aspiring professionals programme
- King's College London - K-plus
- Sutton Trust - Summer school, pathway programmes
- Oxbridge programmes - St John's 'Inspire'