Brentford School for Girls is committed to providing a planned programme of careers education for all our students in years 7 – 13. Careers education will be delivered through the PSHCEE curriculum and complemented, activities. We are also committed to providing access to impartial and independent careers advice via the National Careers Service telephone helpline, through the Hounslow 14 - 19 service (for those students with additional needs) and through access to local employers. Impartial careers information and advice will continue to be delivered by our full-time Careers Education Co-ordinator within the school. The main aim of the careers department is to prepare pupils for life beyond Brentford School for Girls by linking them to the real world of work through mentoring, workplace visits, careers fairs, guest speakers and work experience.
Students can expect:
Key Stage 3
- Career lessons during PSHCEE, themes include getting to know one’s own strengths, making choices and career planning.
- Year 8 Option choices support from tutors and senior leadership team
- Year 8 Careers day – a whole day off timetable to consider own learning style, write a CV, research different careers and talk to up to 25 different professionals
Key Stage 4
- Career lessons during PSHCEE, themes include skills for work, how to research career choices, Apprenticeships and Post 16 choices.
- Year 10 Industry day during the summer term
- Year 10 - Mock interview morning and preparation
- Year 11 - One to one career guidance interviews for entire year group
Key Stage 5
- Brentford University – as part of this annual programme, students are given support to investigate their HE choices and alternative post-18 options
- ‘So You Want to be a …?’ - A variety of careers talks from outside professionals– students can sign up for these voluntarily
- Access to information on and support with applying to a wide range of seminars, activities, summer schools and other HE events
Open to all
- One-to-one information, advice and guidance available on a drop-in basis in the careers room, Pankhurst
- Emma Brown (Careers Education Co-ordinator): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office number: 020 88474281 extension 227