What is an Academy?
- Remain a state school.
- Good and outstanding schools encouraged to achieve status.
- We would be seeking Converter Academy status (not the same as Sponsored Academy where a company runs the school. We would run the school)
Schools who are already an academy:
- Isleworth & Syon
- St. Marks(April)
- Gumley House
- Rivers Academy
- Cranford Community College
Only 2 schools in Hounslow not exploring academy school status.
What difference would it make?
- We would remain a girls’ school
- More money – extra resources in school for learning and teaching
- Curriculum change if we wanted
- Flexibility and freedom
- Opportunity to work across other local authorities and with other good and outstanding girls’ schools
- Structural changes to the school day/year would remain unchanged at the present time
What would be the same?
- No change to name
- No uniform changes
- Teachers pay and conditions
- Daily running of the school
What are the risks?
- Isolation – Minimised by Association of Maintained Girls’ schools - working closely with other girls’ schools and Challenge Partnerships- group of good and outstanding schools working together with other Hounslow schools with regard to admissions and school planning.
- Responsible to DFE – Not LA anymore and accountable to Ofsted.
- Extra admin work for school to do/ finance role to increase.
- Staff and student consultation.
- Parent consultation/ other stakeholders.
- Welcome questions from all parents – contact the school- we will respond.
- Consultation ends 25th April 2012.
- Meeting to discuss outcomes with full governing body – 28th April 2012
- Announcement will be made following this.