Skip to content ↓

Technology

GCSE 

The GCSE is made up of two sections, a controlled assessment coursework project and a written exam:

The coursework makes up 60% of the final GCSE grade, with the exam making up the other 40%.

Year 10

The pupils are starting the GCSE textiles course:

During Year 10 the pupils will be completing a practice coursework project ‘Childs play’.

They will be designing and making a textile product suitable for a child. This will introduce the pupils to the format and content that is expected for the controlled assessment.

They will develop skills in researching, designing, reviewing, planning, making and testing and evaluating.

They will also be learning the theory necessary for the successful completion of the exam, including:

  • Materials and components.
  • Industrial and commercial processes
  • Analysing products
  • Designing products
  • Technology
  • Sustainability
  • Ethical design and manufacture

Year 11

There are currently 3 courses in the technology area in Year 11.

ASDAN food, GCSE food and GCSE textiles.

In ASDAN food the pupils will be learning how to be confident in the kitchen, covering the following areas:

  • Healthy Eating
  • Basic Food Safety
  • Food Preparation and Presentation
  • Cooking on a Budget
  • Entertaining
  • The Food Industry
  • Practical Cooking Skills

In both GCSE food and textiles the pupils will be concentrating on the completion of the GCSE controlled assessment projects, they will be encouraged to be creative and challenge themselves to produce complex products.

Both courses require the pupils to:

  • Design creatively
  • Make products
  • Apply systems and control, computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM), digital media and new technologies (where appropriate)
  • Analyse and evaluate processes and products

Pupils will also consolidate and revise the theory work covered in year 10 ready for the exam.

KS5

Art and Design – Textiles

The Art and Design – Textiles course consists of 4 units taken over 2 years:

Year 12

September to January – unit 1: ‘Nature’

They will begin with a basic skills program focussing on the visual elements:

Line, tone. Pattern, colour, texture, shape and form.

Pupils will start with observational drawings and develop these using a variety of textiles techniques including stitch, surface printing, dying, weaving, applique, felt making and fabric manipulation.

Pupils will then experiment and produce a personal portfolio of work, looking at the work of visual artists and designers to influence and extend their own practice. This will culminate in a final piece completed during a mock exam.

February – May – pupils - unit 2: exam board project.

Pupils will be given a theme chosen by the exam board. They will need to produce a portfolio of preparatory work, experimenting with techniques and ideas. This will culminate in a 10 hour exam in May.

June – July – Brentford University – Essay preparation.

Year 13

September to January – unit 3: ‘Passions and Obsessions’

Pupils will experiment and produce a personal portfolio of work, looking at the work of visual artists and designers to influence and extend their own practice. This will culminate in a final piece completed during a mock exam.

They will also produce a personal study – an essay that supports their practical work, this must be between 100 and 300 words, the questions will have been given and the essay started as part of the Brentford University work.

February – May- unit 4: exam board project.

There will be a number of research trips included over the course including going to the V&A Museum and the Knitting and stitching show (October 9th)